Monday, July 19, 2010

Quote of the Week-7/19/10

"First I was dying to finish high school and start college. And then I was dying to finish college and start working. And then I was dying to marry and have children. Then I was dying for my children to grow old enough so I could return to work. Then I was dying to retire. And now I am dying and suddenly realized I forgot to live."
-Author Unknown

This quote puts it all into perspective doesn't it? We spend so much of our life "dying" for the next stage. This quote fell on reality for my this week. I had an old friend in town and we spent much of our time reminiscing about the "good old days". Funny thing is that when all those times were occuring I was not sitting around thinking how great they were but wishing for them to pass so I could move onto my next phase. It is sad when you think about it.

It can be like training for a marathon. You spend all this time training and working toward this one single event. It could be easy to wish all those training runs to hurry on by, but then you get to the marathon and boom..it is over before you know it. Do we savor each run and enjoy our time in nature and with our friends, and the good feelings we get after the run? For me sometimes not so much. There is nothing wrong with having future events to look forward to and dreams to aspire towards but the question is are we happy right now and enjoying where we are right now? The past is behind us the future is unknown and all we really have is the present.

Why not take a step back this week and reflect on what is great about where you are right now? Include your health and fitness in this reflection. Maybe you want to train for a marathon or 5k or lose 5 pounds but what is great about where you are now? Maybe compared to last year you are more active or maybe you have started attending group fitness classes and you have met some great people...or maybe you have started being more conscious about your food choices. All are steps in a great direction and you should enjoy them-now! I am sure you will uncover some great things as you pause and say, why not enjoy my life-NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment