Here is a good recipe for home made protein bars. I would sub in real maple syrup instead of sugar free or you could try agave nectar. It has about 1/3 of the calories. I usually stay with substances in their natural form. I also recommend rice protein powder over whey, soy, or casein. Rice protein is very gentle on the digestive tract and is generally tolerated better by most people. Enjoy!
3 1/2 cups of quick oats
1 1/2 cups dry non-fat milk
4 scoops protein powder (chocolate is yummy)
1/4 c flax seeds
1 cup sugar free maple syrup
2 egg whites (or egg replacer)
1/4 c orange juice
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c natural applesauce (you can try 1/3 for a different consistency)
Note: You can sub nuts, dried fruit, etc instead of flax seeds
1. Beat egg whites in a bowl.
2. Mix egg whites with orange juice, applesauce, syrup and vanilla.
3. In another bowl, mix the dry milk, oats, protein powder, and flax seeds.
4. Combine the dry and wet ingredients. It should look like cookie dough.
5. Add the mixture to a greased 9x13 pan.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 325 degrees.
7. Allow to cool completely before cutting into 12 bars.
8. Store in a freezer or air-tight container.
Each bar contains:
187 calories, 27 g of carbs, 15g of protein, 3g of fat, and 4g of fiber