Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Natural Allery Relief

I don't know about you but I am still struggling with allergies. For me, I like to look for more natural ways to approach my allergy symptoms rather that taking the common OTC meds. Here are some approaches that I have found helpful:

*Neti Pot or NeilMed Sinus Rinse: I prefer the Sinus rinse. I was a little apprehensive to try this but it works beautifully! This is a great daily practice to prevent colds and to help with nasal congestion. I bought mine at New Seasons. I am hooked. It really helps you breathe better.
www.neilmed.com


* Stinging Nettles supplement (300 mg)
*Activated Quercetin (750mg)
I take one of each 3 times a day when I am feeling itchy eyes, and congestion and I get immediate relief. These don't work for everyone but for me it is magic. These are natural antihistamines and are commonly prescibed by naturopathic physicians for allergies. You can find these at Fred Meyer, New Seasons, Whole Foods, or at NCNM (naturopathic clinic in Portland)

*Yoga- There are many yoga poses that can help with nasal congestion. A sequence that I found helpful is:
Uttanasana (standing forward bend)
Downward Facing Dog
Prasarita Padottanasana (Wide leg forward fold)
Headstand (against a wall) or Supported Shoulderstand
Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
Halasana (Plow)
Supta Baddhakonasana (Lying butterfly pose)
Janu Sirsasana (fold one leg in and forward fold)
Pascimottasana (seated forward fold)
Bridge (can use a block under sacrum)
Legs on the Wall
Savasana

Try to hold poses for 5-10 breathes. Stay in savasana for as long as possible.

If you are unsure about the poses listed above see:
http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/finder/browse_categories
and you can look up poses and how to get into them. :)

Hope this helps you!
**Please note that before taking any supplements you may want to check with your health care provider. I am not a doctor or a licensed health care provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment