This is a great,easy tasty soup for the fall. Those vata doshas (Ayurveda) will find this soup very calming and nourishing!
1 medium butternut squash,peeled, seeded,and cut into 1" chunks (or be lazy like me and buy 2-10 oz frozen bags of squash chunks..thank you New Seasons)
1 medium sweet potato or 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large onion , diced
1 inch fresh ginger root, washed and finely chopped or grated
2 Tablespoons ghee (or coconut oil, or butter)
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 tsp clove
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
3 cups vegetable broth or water
1 cup coconut milk, milk alternative or half and half
salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt 1-2 tablespoons ghee in a medium skillet. Add squash, sweet potato and onion. Saute for about 7-8 minutes, stirring until veggies are golden.
2. Add garlic and cook another 10 minutes on lower heat until veggies are a caramel color. Remove from heat.
3. In a soup pot, over medium heat, heat 1 T ghee and ginger with spices. Saute until fragrant.
4. Add broth and veggies to pot. Bring to a low boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes, partially covered.
5. Puree in a blender until smooth.
6. Return to soup pot and pour enough milk that the soup flows easily. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Taken from Yoga Journal