OVEN BAKED STRIPETTI or Spaghetti SQUASH WITH LENTIL AND SPINACH SAUCE
· 2 T olive oil
· 4 small stripetti squash or 2 spaghetti
· 1 onion, chopped
· 1 red bell pepper, chopped
· 1 pint sliced baby portabella's
· 3 garlic cloves, crushed
· 1 tsp sea salt
· ½ tsp black pepper
· fresh oregano
· and basil to taste
· 2 bay leaves
· ½ cup green lentils
· 1 cup water
· 1/3 cup quinoa
· 1 14.5oz cans crushed tomatoes, 1 can diced
· 3 cups chopped spinach
· cheese of choice
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Make slices in squash to vent and microwave on high, 4 min per pound, turn it over half way through. Let stand for 5 min to cool, slice in half, discard seeds, fluff with fork.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook onions, garlic, mushrooms and bell peppers in olive oil over medium heat until fragrant and the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Add seasonings and lentils and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, quinoa and water, bring to boil then lower heat and simmer, partly covered, for about 25 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
5. Remove from heat and stir in spinach leaves. Add half of squash, leaving half in the shell.
6. Spoon sauce into each squash half, then sprinkle with cheese, I used a little goat and Parmesan.
7. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and starts to color slightly