I am on a soup kick will all the cold weather so here is yet another one compliments of my gourmet cook friend, Michelle!
1 T olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
1 poblano pepper, chopped
1 box broth (I used organic vegetable broth)
1 cup water
3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cans diced tomatoes (I used a tub of fresh organic salsa and 1 can diced tomatoes then cut back on the cilantro)
1 T chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
Dash of red pepper flakes
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add in the onion and cook until tender. Add in the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the sweet potato and peppers. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add in the broth, water, black beans, and tomatoes. Stir well.
4. Add the chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Stir and toss in the cilantro. Stir again. Let the soup simmer on medium low for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot