30 minutes or fewer
Vegetable juice gives this grain salad a gorgeous color, a hint of flavor, and a hefty boost of vitamin C and beta-carotene.
⅓ cup chopped almonds (1 ½ oz.)
2 tsp. vegetable oil
½ cup chopped onion
2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
1 cup quinoa
1 ½ cups beet-carrot or carrot juice
1 cup frozen peas
1 medium apple, diced
⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Toast almonds in saucepan over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, or until fragrant and beginning to brown, stirring often. Cool.
2. Wipe out saucepan; add oil and onion. Sauté onion 2 to 3 minutes, or until translucent, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in ginger, quinoa, and juice, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
4. Remove from heat, and scatter peas over cooked quinoa. Cover, and let stand 10 minutes, until peas are thawed.
5. Stir apple, coconut, and almonds into salad. Serve warm or at room temperature.